Collecting aircraft position in airport

5 years 2 months ago #672 by Adrien_Polytech
Hello everyone,

I am a french student using your API.
I am currently trying to determine the position of an aircraft in the airport. In order to know where it will park in the airport.
This is the program I am using:
from time import sleep
import requests, json

while True:
    url = requests.get('https://Adrien_Polytech:***************@opensky-network.org/api/states/all?icao24=501d20')
    states = json.loads(url.text)
    print(states)
    sleep(10)
My problem is that when the aircraft is nearly landing it disappears from the Opensky Map. The latitude and longitude that I collect using my program are the same until I have the answer:

'states': None

It is always the beginning of the landing runway.
Do you know why I can't have access to the aircraft position on-ground? Is it because the ADB-S is switch off when then approach the ground? Or is it something else that I am not aware of?

Thanks for your future help! Adrien

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 2 months ago #673 by strohmeier
Hi,

ADS-B is not switched off on the ground, although there is an on_ground flag that is activated then: opensky-network.org/apidoc/states-respon...tml?highlight=ground

However, ADS-B is line of sight, i.e. when there is no receiver very close to the airport surface, it is difficult to retrieve the signals and the track will stop at that point. You haven't mentioned the airport that you are looking at but that is the most likely explanation.

5 years 2 months ago #674 by Adrien_Polytech
Thank you strohmeier!

I am trying to localize aircraft in Charles De Gaulle Airport in France.
So if I don't see any "on_ground = True" state for an aircraft it means that it has not been detected by any antenna close to the airport right?
And do you think that by implanting multiple antennas in the airport I will be able to see the on-ground aircraft?

5 years 2 months ago #675 by meides

And do you think that by implanting multiple antennas in the airport I will be able to see the on-ground aircraft?

Probably one good antenna near the airport or at the airport would already be sufficient. So yes, by implanting multiple antennas you would be able to see the on-ground aircraft. Currently Frankfurt Airport already has good coverage, so you can get an idea of what it would look like.

5 years 2 months ago #676 by Adrien_Polytech
Thank you all for your help!

5 years 2 months ago #677 by strohmeier
Or Zurich Airport: opensky-network.org/airport-profile?icao=LSZH
With ground vehicles and all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: meides