Response <429>

1 year 9 months ago #1995 by candair
Response <429> was created by candair
Hello,

since 2 days I can't request data from the opensky API. I get the repsonse 429 when trying to access with python request.
What can be the problem? In my script I request state data from api/state every 10 seconds. It worked for several month now. 
What is the recommended minimum interval for requests? Thank You in advance for Your answer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 9 months ago #1996 by Nesbit
Replied by Nesbit on topic Response <429>
Problems here with the Python API (non-REST) as well.
Just getting empty responses, even though all queried icao24 are definitely in the air.
Requesting states every 10 seconds, as instructed in the documentation.

Thanks for the help!

1 year 9 months ago #1997 by strohmeier
Replied by strohmeier on topic Response <429>
Hi, please see the updated documentation: openskynetwork.github.io/opensky-api/rest.html#limitations
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nesbit

1 year 9 months ago #1998 by Nesbit
Replied by Nesbit on topic Response <429>
So these limitations also apply to the Python API (github.com/openskynetwork/opensky-api) as this is just the Python implementation of the REST API?

1 year 9 months ago #1999 by candair
Replied by candair on topic Response <429>
Thanks for Your information.
I apply your service in a python script in which I record departing and arriving aircrafts at Stuttgart Airport, with their destination and starting country, in a database.
Thank you for providing such a good service for free.
1000 requests a day is not so much, as it means updating only every 90s. Would it be possible to increase it to 3000, every 30s? ;-)

1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #2002 by Lvtmedia
Replied by Lvtmedia on topic Response <429>

1 year 8 months ago #2031 by obinder
Replied by obinder on topic Response <429>
Hello @ll,

what are the prerequisites for a "valid OpenSky account" as per the limitations? 

I have an account, but no receiver, I can log into the website, but my app accessing the REST API is blocked after 100 requests.

1 year 8 months ago #2032 by strohmeier
Replied by strohmeier on topic Response <429>
But you're accessing it with the account credentials? In general, it seems to work flawlessly now, if the credentials are used.
The following user(s) said Thank You: obinder

1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #2033 by obinder
Replied by obinder on topic Response <429>
Sorry, the problem was on my end. Obviously the API didn't like the way I sent the credentials from my app and treated me as anonymous.

If anybody else is trying this with C# and HttpWebRequest, don't use the Credentials attribute. Instead, add username and password to the request headers.

string encoded = System.Convert.ToBase64String(Encoding.GetEncoding("ISO-8859-1").GetBytes(OpenSkyUser + ":" + OpenSkyPassWord));
                request.Headers.Add("Authorization", "Basic " + encoded);