Historical Flight List Data

3 years 11 months ago #1135 by wsmith
I am working on a personal project (while quarantined) and I am interested in using the OpenSky API to get historical flight data.

I am specifically looking for a daily (or weekly) updated dataset containing the recent flights for all the planes tracked.

I noticed that I can get this historical data for specific planes (ex: opensky-network.org/api/flights/aircraft...62&limit=25&offset=0) but not for all planes in a bulk download.

Sending a bunch of API requests for lots of different planes seems like it would put a lot of unnecessary strain on your servers.

Could this aggregated data be uploaded to the /datasets/ page?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 11 months ago #1136 by strohmeier
If you are only looking for the flight metadata, we do upload this at the moment, as linked on the frontpage: opensky-network.org/datasets/covid-19/

I'm afraid monthly updates is all we can get done though, we are all volunteers with day jobs. None of which got curbed by corona (fortunately!).
The following user(s) said Thank You: wsmith

3 years 11 months ago #1137 by wsmith
Replied by wsmith on topic Historical Flight List Data
Thanks for your quick response. I totally understand.

Could I pass more than one icao24 to the api (for the historical data)?

ex: opensky.../api/flights/aircraft?icao=a2b8db+a2a32b+a2aa93&begin=1587066862&end...

That might be an easier way to get the desired result (i really only care about a very small subset of the total planes).

I would be happy to help build that feature.

3 years 11 months ago #1138 by wsmith
Replied by wsmith on topic Historical Flight List Data
^