Is ADS-B susceptible to cyber threats in aviation?

6 years 2 months ago #373 by poltorak321
Hello OpenSky,

My name is Philip Poltorak and I’m currently a student at Lewis University that has dedicated his time in attaining a master’s degree in the field of aviation and transportation, and I’ve began a research study with a colleague of mine on how ADS-B technology can be susceptible to cyber threats in the aviation industry. Through my recent research on this particular topic, I’ve uncovered a lot of information about the vulnerabilities of ADS-B, but I would like to survey this particular community on whether or not ADS-B is susceptible to cyber threats in the aviation industry and if it’s a grave concern to the future of the industry? I would appreciate an explanation or evidence from the community on either the approval or disapproval to this question. Your replies would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Sincerely,
Phil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 2 months ago #375 by strohmeier
Hi Philip,

I did write a PhD thesis on the topic, so my opinion has been recorded in great detail already. ;) It's available here: www.cs.ox.ac.uk/publications/publication10847-abstract.html

Tl;dr: Yes, absolutely. The question is rather how much it will be integrated with other systems or is it used stand-alone?

In Chapter 5 you will also find the results of a survey we conducted within the aviation community about two years ago, maybe that is of interest to you.

Any other opinions would be interesting to hear of course!

Martin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.