Please keep releasing the monthly summary "COVID" data

1 year 7 months ago #2051 by excesspunishment
Please consider to keep releasing the monthly summary flight data indefinitely. It is a great resource for hobbyists and researchers and is just as useful beyond the end of the COVID crisis. It is the only dataset of its kind and is relatively small and presumably not very difficult to produce. It would also potentially reduce the load on the full historical database since many queries can be satisfied with only the start and end points that are present in the zenodo data.

Thank you for having provided this data during COVID, I hope you continue to do so after COVID has ended.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 7 months ago #2052 by strohmeier
Hi, thanks for your input. Yes, these are all good reasons and exactly the ones why we started this. There is still manual work and data cleaning required, so the burden is a bit too high to do it indefinitely (hence also the delays). We are planning with the end of this year currently and are looking at other options/data formats in the future.

1 year 7 months ago #2120 by excesspunishment
I didn't realize there was manual work. What is involved? Maybe publishing less processed data and the consumer doing it on their end would be reasonable.

1 year 4 months ago #2220 by excesspunishment
I would point out that someone trying to recreate this data from the open sky api is going to query it every 10 minutes or so, I imagine that it would be much less resource intensive to have them get the data through a monthly dataset.

But if the plan is still to discontinue publishing the data would be it be possible to get a heads up when the last month is going to be?

Thank you.