Missing aircraft

5 years 7 months ago #553 by thenecroscope
Hello,

I'm new to opensky and I'm still getting to grips with things. A quick question, when I cross check the data from adsbexchange to opensky, I can see lots of missing aircraft. For example I'm currently following ICAO: 43C04C on adsbexchange, but I cannot see this on opensky?

many thanks,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 7 months ago #554 by jluebbe
Replied by jluebbe on topic Missing aircraft
Hi,
adsbexchange provides data not only originating from ADS-B (Aircraft is broadcasting its position) but also from multilateration (aircraft may broadcast its callsign and altitude but not its position. The position is obtained from comparison of the time the signal takes to receivers at different positions.). Many military aircraft don't use ADS-B.

5 years 6 months ago #555 by strohmeier
Replied by strohmeier on topic Missing aircraft

Hi,
adsbexchange provides data not only originating from ADS-B (Aircraft is broadcasting its position) but also from multilateration (aircraft may broadcast its callsign and altitude but not its position. The position is obtained from comparison of the time the signal takes to receivers at different positions.). Many military aircraft don't use ADS-B.

Indeed, that's normally the reason (our outside of our coverage). This one does, at least sometimes use ADS-B, and you can see some previous flights, too: opensky-network.org/aircraft-profile?icao24=43c04c Not sure what exactly happened with the last flight to be honest.

5 years 6 months ago #556 by schaefer