New Receiver Q's. POE? Cooling/Heating?

4 years 7 months ago #901 by N5413K
I have a 45' guyed tower that could get the receiver above the trees here. What I'm thinking is that I will mount a water tight box near the top of the tower with the receiver in it. The antenna cable could be very short. I have spare outdoor rated CAT5E cables that run to the top of the tower.

Has anyone used POE to run the receiver instead of a local (wall wart with a short mini-USB plug) power supply?

Has anyone had heating/cooling problems with a receiver in an enclosed box?

Thanks,

Bill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 4 months ago #1353 by elTrauko
I am new to OpenSky and in the forum, I see nobody responded to a topic that is interesting since at 1090mhz there is a lot of loss due to cable length.
I have a remote station powered by POE, with the receiver 15 meters high (50 feet), 2 meters (6 feet) from the antenna, 24x19x90 cm IP67 plastic watertight box, it has been installed for more than a year, previously in the same box but inside a shed for about three years working.
It works very well, and there is a great increase in coverage due to the reduction of signal loss, the range went from 200kms to almost 600kms.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.