Setting up a VHF receiver

2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #1518 by allan.tart
Hi, 

I created this topic to share experiences with setting up a VHF voice receiver. 

The set-up guide is rather straight forward ( atco.opensky-network.org/ ) but as usual with those things, one can get really creative with those things and it would be nice if those stories will be shared with others. 

For example, Igor Szoke, a good colleague from the ATCO2 project has written few interesting blog post to project website: atco2.org/news  So, if you have experiences setting up and configuring the VHF receiver for listening to the dialogue between pilot and air traffic controller, please share your experiences here.  

On behalf of the OpenSky team, 
Allan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #1817 by TENSO01
Replied by TENSO01 on topic Setting up a VHF receiver
Currently trying to set up the opensky atc feeder but are not able to log in. Seems like a the executeable has problem with some of the command line arguments. I don't know.
Have tried with and without password in the command line argument. still same problem.

opensky-atc-feeder register --user {username} -p {username}
Enter value for --user (Opensky username (use same username that you use on the opensky-network.org page)): {username}
Enter value for --password (Opensky password - just use -p to input interactively): {password}
Unmatched argument at index 2:

Error is: Unmatched argument at index 2:

2 years 1 month ago #1819 by fabian.landis
The help message is a bit misleading. The command expects --option=argument format. Try the following:
opensky-atc-feeder register -u -p
and enter the username and then pass word, or
opensky-atc-feeder register -u=myusername -p
and then enter the password
Hope this helps

2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #1821 by TENSO01
Replied by TENSO01 on topic Setting up a VHF receiver
Perfect. That did the trick!
I notice that the default filetype is different in the latest version of RTL_Airband compared to the guide on atco.opensky-network.org/#1.
The guide says .C16 filetype, but now RTL_Airband produces .CF32 files. 
Do I have to change to 32 bit sample rate? or is it just how the files are saved?

And another question, how do the atc feeder know the location of the files? I cannot see any configuration regarding which folder they are located within.
I am not running the feeder from the same computer that have the receivers connected. 

2 years 1 month ago #1822 by fabian.landis
Currently, if you use the set-up bash scripts from the atco.opensky-network.org/ page, they set up rtl airband version 3.2.1 which still uses the cs16 format (we will change this soon to use the latest version of rtl airband). If you set up rtl airband yourself and have cf32 format, you need to change your feeder configuration with using the same opensky-atc-feeder configure command you used during the set-up phase, but with the following parameters changed (the s parameter should be 8000 if you didn't activate nfm support in rtl_airband, else it should be 16000):
opensky-atc-feeder configure -t=cf32 -b=32 -n=1 -c=fp -s=8000 ... (the rest of the parameters that you used)
You can drop us an email with your username and we can check if your samples are converted correctly on server side.