more different icao24 addresses than expected

5 years 5 months ago #581 by jluebbe
Hi, I tried to count the number of distinct aircraft by airline. I detected 815 different icao24 ids for Ryanair (RYR) and 517 for Easyjet (EZY).
If the numbers published in Wikipedia are assumed to be more or less correct, there shouldn't be more than 450 for Ryanair and 320 for Easyjet. Is there a way to detect invalid addresses? I could try to look them up in thew database without knowing if it is complete.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 5 months ago #582 by strohmeier
Hi Jannis,

How did you count the IDs - by callsign? There is no way to prove completeness and correctness in general for an airline, you'd need access to their records probably. Most public databases are always lagging or incomplete, although with manual work you can normally get a very good picture. Since both the UK and Ireland however publish their registers, you're in luck for those two airlines, e.g. this should be fairly good for Ryanair: www.iaa.ie/commercial-aviation/aircraft-...nd-monthly-changes-1

That said, as far as truly invalid IDs go, where did you get them? If they are seen sufficiently often and over longer time periods, then they are at least real.

5 years 5 months ago #583 by jluebbe
I consume the API states and put all ICAO24 hex codes into a set (removing duplicates) for each operator which is identified by callsign. In general, I would assume the amount of callsigns to be a multiple of the aircraft count. This seems to be the case as there are several thousand callsigns for both airlines.