New undocumented endpoints?

4 years 1 month ago #1039 by maxpierini
Hello,

I noticed that opensky-network.org/network/explorer currently sends calls to useful undocumented endpoints:
api/routes?callsign={callsign}
that returns ICAO of departure and arrival airports, updateTime, operatorIata and flightNumber
api/metadata/aircraft/icao/{icao24}
that returns info about the aircraft
api/airports/?icao={ICAO}
that returns info and coordinates of the airport

Is Access-Control-Allow-Origin intentionally restricted for these new endpoints?
I tried to use them in a javascript to get live aircraft updates and calculate route and distances from departure and to arrival airports but requests have been blocked by CORS policy.

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 1 month ago #1043 by jluebbe
Replied by jluebbe on topic New undocumented endpoints?
Hi, I did something similar in JavaScript for the front end and Python in the backend:

github.com/jaluebbe/FlightMapEuropeSimple

I downloaded the airport locations from ourairports.com which is public domain data.

For calculating distances on a website and to perform other spatial operations, turf.js is great.
The following user(s) said Thank You: maxpierini

4 years 1 month ago #1044 by maxpierini
Wow cool, great repository. I'll take a closer look at your solutions.

4 years 1 month ago #1065 by xSNOWM4Nx
First of all, thanks to the contributors of the OpenSky Network for all the work you are doing here.

I would also be interested in using the new endpoints. Wouldn't it be possible to provide them with CORS? You could mark the new endpoints with a corresponding label in the docs (e.g. under development or similar). I also noticed that the track endpoint 'api/tracks' no longer returns a valid response. It would be nice to have a corresponding remark in the Docs.

The data from these new endpoints would be very helpful to further expand my GitHub project react-flight-tracker .

Thanks a lot!

4 years 1 month ago #1066 by jluebbe
Hi,
take a look at atmdata.github.io/sources/ where you find developer APIs of airlines and airports. Depending on their terms and conditions, redistribution of data may not be allowed without permission. Another interesting source of flight connections may be flight schedules of airlines in xls or csv format. They could sometimes be found on their cargo webpage. Here, it may not be permitted to download such data automatically.
The following user(s) said Thank You: xSNOWM4Nx

3 years 8 months ago #1225 by PCate
Replied by PCate on topic New undocumented endpoints?

Is Access-Control-Allow-Origin intentionally restricted for these new endpoints?
I tried to use them in a javascript to get live aircraft updates and calculate route and distances from departure and to arrival airports but requests have been blocked by CORS policy.

I've hit this issue as well. Any plans to open up the 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' CORS header for these endpoints?

3 years 6 months ago #1296 by Mardulis
Hi,

I have a feeling that i'm missing something basic here - is there a free accessible DB of flight routes (by ICAO24) ? or some other way to find out publicly - known flight routes by ICAO24 number?

The various amazing paid methods are not an option for me at this stage.

thank you.

3 years 5 months ago #1333 by mawg
Replied by mawg on topic New undocumented endpoints?
I just asked this questing on opendata.stackexchange.com/questions/182...craft-id-information it may take a while to get a reply.

Is anyone aware of a database, API, or other source of data on icao24?

I want to be able to give an icao24 (from an OpenSky API), and get some information as much information as possible about the associated aircraft.

3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #1399 by strohmeier

Hi,

I have a feeling that i'm missing something basic here - is there a free accessible DB of flight routes (by ICAO24) ? or some other way to find out publicly - known flight routes by ICAO24 number?

The various amazing paid methods are not an option for me at this stage.

thank you.

For a historical analysis, why not try and do some work on our full metadata flights? opensky-network.org/community/blog/item/...id-19-flight-dataset

3 years 2 months ago #1400 by jluebbe
To my experience, obtaining flight routes by icao24 is difficult, as the route, the specific aircraft is flying may change every few hours. For a specific aircraft, you may manually look up the flight history of that aircraft on FR24 or similar websites. If you are looking for a more systematic approach, I recommend, to look for the callsign as the key. In most cases, the callsigns represent the same flight route every day/week until change of winter/summer schedule. There are some special cases where the route for the callsign changes every few weeks or even within days.
In some cases, callsigns represent flights which consist of multiple flight legs.
The easiest way is to look for a publicly available database like the following one which can be downloaded as sqlite:

www.virtualradarserver.co.uk/FlightRoutes.aspx

If you focus on a specific airline or region it may be covered by some open data sources listed on atmdata.github.io/sources/ . The flight route may even differ depending on the source, you are using.
An example is SOO8028 SCEL-KLAX-RKSI-VHHH. An american source may report the part SCEL-KLAX-RKSI only while you find the part KLAX-RKSI-VHHH on the website of VHHH.
The following user(s) said Thank You: strohmeier