Error getting tarcks for aircraft

4 years 2 weeks ago - 3 years 11 months ago #1080 by mawg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 2 weeks ago #1081 by strohmeier
Hi Mawg,

The tracks endpoint is inactive. It has been noted in the forum but I'll make sure it gets noted in all of the API documents, too. It is easy to miss some of them.

The flights endpoint is updated nightly (UTC) for the previous day. At the moment, we do not provide a live flight abstraction, only live state vectors.

4 years 2 weeks ago #1082 by mawg
Thank you very much for the quick reply.

I had hope to put together a live demo, using software only. It looks like that won't be possible.

However, I did purchase a receiver and antenna, so will work on setting up a live data-feed using a Raspberry Pi.

4 years 2 weeks ago #1084 by strohmeier
You can live demo aircraft in flight similar to our explorer by using thee API. But live time tables / commercial flight plan operations are not possible indeed, it's just not something provided by ADS-B.

Always happy about new feeders though!

4 years 2 weeks ago #1085 by mawg
Well, I would settle for the current (or recent) lat/long of aircraft approaching my chosen airport (and don't mind being limited to 10 or 2 aircraft; Any hints about which APIs to use? ).

opensky-network.org/apidoc/rest.html#limitations seems to say that I can get all vectors within the last hour (which seems like overkill, as I would then have to filter them to find those heading for y chosen airport, rather than my initial plan of finding 'planes heading for the airport, then getting data for each).

I am going step by step, so software only would be a great first step, following which I can add my own feed & then fetch data from that. Obviously, I will pipe my feed to you.

Moving (live) positions on a map are good enough. Plotting their tracks would be a bonus.

4 years 2 weeks ago #1087 by strohmeier
You could play with the lon/lat/altitude values to filter only those on a typical approach path to your airport.

4 years 2 weeks ago #1091 by mawg
Yes, of course that is what I will do. It just seems like overkill, to get vectors for everything, when I already know (from getting icao24 of craft approaching my chosen airport), which aircraft interest me. Hence, getting the track of each of these is more efficient & consumes less bandwidth.

I guess it's not too important, as this is only step 1, pre software, and I will next use my own tracker (and feed the data to you)