KSAN Data Quality recently

1 year 1 week ago - 1 year 1 week ago #2399 by birger
Hi all,

a user of my X-Plane plugin LiveTraffic (which is happily and proudly using OpenSky data for years) reported consistent implausible plane behavior around KSAN for a few days now, probably since 19-APR-2023 +/- a few days.
I could reproduce, then had a look at the OpenSky Explorer. Also the Explorer's algorithm can't keep up with the data it fetches. Same in KLAX, the next best big airport. Only in KSFO, comparably far away, I had the feeling approaches and landings were OK again.

Best seen for planes on approach into KSAN or KLAX. When I now had a look planes were landing heading west.
  • Heading changes (on approach, away from the airport), sometimes even flying reverse direction for a few seconds
  • Position is repeatedly set back to a previous one, although detail data claims recent contact to plane (and I mean like 3-5 times set back to the same position, not just some realignment with current data and then moving on; more often in KSAN than in KLAX)
  • Planes, just before making it to the airport, get set back by miles, essentially flying the entire approach once again, which also means: The relative position of planes to each other gets out of sync until the next plane is also set backward (this more often in KLAX than in KSAN)
Is there anything that could have happened to the consolidation of data in that area?

Thanks for the great service!
- TwinFan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 months 4 weeks ago #2404 by strohmeier
I haven't had the time to look into this really, could be a single (new?) sensor with slightly delayed data.

11 months 3 weeks ago #2405 by strohmeier
Could you please check if it has improved?

11 months 3 weeks ago #2406 by birger
Replied by birger on topic KSAN Data Quality recently
Yes, I think it has improved. Looked at the area for about 15 Minutes, both KSAN and KLAX and saw several landings and not a single stop nor setting back by miles.

11 months 3 weeks ago #2408 by birger
Replied by birger on topic KSAN Data Quality recently
Yes, looks better now. Have taken a look at both KSAN and KLAX and so no complete stops or planes that get reset by miles.