Missing data for flights from/to LOWK (Klagenfurt)

9 months 5 days ago #2499 by fpuehringer
Hi,
I have been using the opensky IMPALA database to query various flight data of Austrian airports, but unfortunately, I have noticed a significant lack of information for flights to and from Klagenfurt (LOWK). Even more specifically, the scheduled flights operated by Austrian Airlines (for example with flight codes AUA937%, AUA941%, AUA942%, and AUA938%) appear to be completely missing or extremely limited.

I have tried multiple queries and attempted various date ranges, but the data seems to be unavailable.
Is anyone else experiencing this issue or aware of the reasons behind it? Your insights would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Florian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 months 5 days ago #2500 by strohmeier
As always, the algorithm might not pick out certain airports correctly. See opensky-network.org/about/faq#q14 and documentation linked there.

You can of course use the raw state vectors to investigate where these flights end yourself. Or improve gorund coverage with a sensor close by.

9 months 5 days ago #2501 by fpuehringer
Thank you very much!
Yes, I am familiar with the issue of Arrival and Departure airports. (
But does this fact also explain that I can't find the flights when I search with the callsign? (%)

9 months 5 days ago #2502 by strohmeier
No idea to be honest. These commercial flights are there for sure but there's a reason everything is done on the icao24, not on callsign or registration.

9 months 5 days ago #2503 by fpuehringer
Okay - thanks!
Do you have any idea for kind of a workaround to find these flights?

9 months 5 days ago #2504 by strohmeier
Well, do some real data science and exploration and go looking for them. Find out for a given day and time what the icao is (check Flightradar for example) and look for it. Or if you know where it should be at a given time, look which flights are in the area that match. When you find one or more, you'll probably see what sort of pattern you need to look for.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fpuehringer

9 months 3 days ago #2507 by fpuehringer
I have now found the flights. I followed your suggestion - identified the icao24 code on Flightradar and started a query with it in the Impala database. (for different times).
After that I was able to identify the used callsigns.
Reason for the not working destination/departure recognition might be simply a poor coverage of the area - see screenshot (the airport is north of the city ).

Unfortunately I don't know anyone in the area who could host a sensor :-(
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: strohmeier

9 months 3 days ago #2508 by strohmeier
Yep, as per the link in the first answer, there must be signals below 2500m.