Find historical data by callsign

5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #573 by FilTeixeira
I'm working on a project which requires to get historical data from flights (e.g. altitude, lat, lon, speed), for a certain route.
As I have most of those routes (i.e. Origin, Destination, date and flight number), I just want to extract all the other info.
So for example if I have a flight for a particular day, I want to extract its route (historical data).

I'm doing it in R, but for now I am more interested in using the Impala platform to see which data do I get. So far I've tried the following example "select * from state_vectors_data4 where callsign='ual1845' order by rand() limit 20;"
However, I get no results despite seeing all the details from that flight here opensky-network.org/aircraft-profile?icao24=a28947.

Am I missing something or what am I doing wrong?

EDIT: The idea would be to have something like this flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL1845/hist...Z/KLAX/KSFO/tracklog. At least when it gets to data.

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 5 months ago #574 by fuchs
Callsigns consist of 8 character, where letters are always upper case. You should do something like this
... WHERE trim(callsign) = "UAL1845"

Please do not make queries on the whole database, but only on a sub set of partitions. Otherwise, they take forever and block resources for other users. More information can be found in Section 3 of our Impala Guide

5 years 5 months ago #575 by FilTeixeira
Indeed, that fixed it. It was a quite basic mistake, my apologies for that.
Regarding not querying the entire database it was indeed my mistake as well. In the future I'll only start on the flight's departure date so it won't be a problem. In any case it's solved and I also started making the queries just on a specific block.

Thank you again for your help.