Missing airplanes with MLAT transponder

3 years 11 months ago #1141 by gustaaf
I am currently logging all flights arriving and departing MST-airport. The are sometimes airplanes which are not found by the Get function opensky-network.org/api/states/all?lamin...46661&lomax=5.848567. The airplanes arriving very frequently which are not reported are those from Royal Jordanian (callsign=JY-AGQ) and Zimex (callsign=HB-ALQ). In the JSON object there is a field 'position_source' which is '2' when a MLAT transponder is used. Why is this field there while it is never used? Or will this be in the near future?

Another related question is if the Opensky receiver can detected MLAT transponders?

Thanks for answering, Gustaaf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 11 months ago #1143 by strohmeier
Hi Gustaaf,

I'd suggest you read up on some basics. :) There is no "MLAT Transponder". MLAT is a technique that estimates the origin of a signal using several receivers, it can be used on aircraft without ADS-B (but with Mode S for example). We do not do MLAT, although we might at some point in the future (we need a highly accurate implementation that does not introduce a lot of noise into our scientific data). If the aircraft do not have ADS-B, we can thus not show their position. Other data (e.g. squawk, altitude) are still collected though.

3 years 11 months ago #1144 by gustaaf
Thanks for your correction. You are right, but you know what I mean.
How do I collect the other data from such an airplane? Should I use the API track by aircraft or flight by aircraft?

Thanks, Gustaaf

3 years 11 months ago #1145 by strohmeier
They are returned by opensky-network.org/api/states/all with coordiantes null but not by a request which includes a geographic box, because it would obviously be impossible to attribute.

3 years 11 months ago #1146 by gustaaf
Ok, thanks.
I checked now the information on flight RJ34/RJA034 with callsign JY-AGQ and icao24=7404F1 with opensky-network.org/api/states/all. However, I did not see this flight. According to Flightradar24 the airplane is on its way to Amman in Jordan.