Is MLAT used at all by OpenSky?

2 years 5 months ago #1665 by ybull
Q: Does OpenSky support MLAT-derived tracking at all?  A search for "MLAT" across the forums here returns nothing, although I notice MLAT is mentioned as a source type for some API calls here opensky-network.org/apidoc/rest.html
Q: If yes, how do we configure our feeders to send it?  This is well-supported with someother ADSB aggregators.

Background and examples:

I've been running a dump1090-fa receiver for about 2 years now and feed to OpenSky-Network.  Occasionally I use the API here to do queries as well. 

My system is tracking via MLAT and that works fine because I see many planes each day with positions via MLAT on my local displays.  But it seems that my feeder does not send MLAT-derived tracks to OpenSky. 

Example: A few minutes ago I heard and saw two A-10 Thunderbolts fly low over us.  So I looked at my Tar1090 to see what they were.  Only one of the two apparently had its transmitter on, which is ICAO24= AE19A7 and it was only trackable via MLAT during that flyover.

I then tried to see if this track showed up in OpenSky, by doing this API query:  opensky-network.org/api/states/all?icao24=ae19a7 and the response is essentially empty, returning only the current timestamp and "states": null

So this left me wondering if it's simply not tracked at all or if it's being filtered here because it's a military craft.

Then I found a different MLAT track in my local system, which is ICAO A8CC46, United Airlines.  This one DOES return current data from curl -s "opensky-network.org/api/states/all?icao24=a8cc46"
{"time":1635699296,"states":"a8cc46","UAL295  ","United States",1635699296,1635699296,-89.409,41.7743,11887.2,false,269.96,85.3,0.33,null,11963.4,"4604",false,0,1}  which indicates the source was ADS-B, but if I query "...states/own?icao24..." I get no data. 

This suggests the missing tracks have nothing to do with filtering but that MLAT isn't being included by the feeder at least in my case.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.