Added two new feeders

4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #794 by Feek
Added two new feeders was created by Feek
Hello OpenSky!

I've added two new feeders to your network today, I don't know how useful they'll be as I suspect this area is already well covered. I have two receivers at home here, one is an Airspy mini with an RTL-SDR LNA and an FA aerial mounted 10m AGL with a pretty decent view and the other is in my loft using an FA Prostickplus with a homebrew two element j-pole collinear.

Both my Pis are standard Raspbian Stretch Lite with dump1090-fa and your Installation was very straightforward and completed within a couple of minutes. Thank you for making it easy.

I already feed to FA, FR24, PlaneFinder and ADSBHub so am happy to add OpenSky.

To give an idea of the area I cover, here is my PlaneFinder range map.

I also run a Virtual Radar Server (link in signature).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 10 months ago #796 by strohmeier
Replied by strohmeier on topic Added two new feeders
Hello and welcome!

We love every new feeder, as our research mission is not simply about getting more coverage but instead get every single message sent by aircraft, in the best case from multiple different receivers. ;)

Looks like a good setup, happy that it was an easy installation!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Feek

4 years 10 months ago #801 by Feek
Replied by Feek on topic Added two new feeders
Thank you.

Looking at the stats of my two receivers, I'm noticing something a bit odd.

Here's the one using the FlightStickPro dongle

Here's the one using the Airspy Mini

Any idea what could be causing this please because clearly this doesn't look right to me.

4 years 10 months ago #802 by meides
Replied by meides on topic Added two new feeders
ADS-B messages are "wrapped" in Mode S messages. Seems your AirSpy ignores all Mode S messages other than downlink format 17 (extended squitter), which is the downlink format used to transmit ADS-B messages. It's probably not the AirSpy dongle, but rather the SDR software you are using. Are you using a different SDR for your FlightStickPro?

4 years 10 months ago #803 by Feek
No, the two builds are pretty much identical. Stretch lite with dump1090-fa and then all the clients installed on top.

4 years 10 months ago #804 by Feek
Interesting. I haven't changed anything, just left it a couple of days but it seems to have sorted itself out. Hopefully these are half decent figures.

4 years 10 months ago #805 by strohmeier
Replied by strohmeier on topic Added two new feeders
Great! Yes, I think it can sometimes take a couple of days until everything is processed properly. Looks absolutely decent to me!