Update interval is not always centered around 0.5x seconds

7 months 1 week ago #2570 by fazlurnu26
Hi everyone,

As ADS-B specification says, the position is updated twice every second. However, when I calculate the update interval by having the difference between consecutive mintime, it seems that some data received almost immediately after the previous one. I tried to collect data for one aircraft  observed by all receiver and one receiver observing all aircraft, both data has this kind of pattern [see figure attached]. Does anybody know what might be the reason for this?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 months 1 week ago #2571 by strohmeier
- Server times have internet jitter (look it up)
- ADS-B transponder should do .4-.6 seconds between consecutive messages. They don't always.
- Messages get lost inbetween.

Should be the three main reasons.
There are many publications discussing loss, message intervals etc. opensky-network.org/community/publications

7 months 1 week ago #2572 by fazlurnu26
After looking into the data in detail, I found that some rawmsg in the position_data4 table are duplicated, thus making the mintime difference very tiny. This happens for both one aircraft and one receiver observations.vWhen I drop the duplicates in the rawmsg, the weird bump disappear [picture attached]. Could this be a bug?
Attachments: