OpenSky + FR24 + BS (port 30003)

7 years 3 months ago #68 by whama01
Hello OpenSky Forum,

I have been a longtime feeder of data to FlightRadar24 (FR24) from a Raspberry Pi. I also use the BaseStation (BS) compatible data published by dump1090 on the default 30003 port to capture and process the packets of data to feed via Kafka into my own Vertica database.

A couple of days ago, I decided to add OpenSky (OS) as a recipient of the data I capture here in Swansea (Wales, UK). To get this to work, I needed to add the "--net" to the procargs of dump1090.ini (as well as take care of the port forwarding etc). This appeared to work, with data being fed to OS (My Sensors yesterday reporting an area of ~27k KM2, 1.1m messages...).

However, on further investigation to the BS data I was now capturing, although the majority of record types (MSG,1 to MSG,8) were still being received, I was now missing the ID, STA and AIR record types and had gained a MSG,7 record type (something I had not previously observed and believe is it not something I would otherwise be receiving as this is an "Air to Air" message?).

I have reverted to my original configuration (without the --NET argument), and am again seeing the ID, STA and AIR record types (and not the MSG,7) as expected.

According to the limited FR24 documentation w.r.t. dump1090.ini parameters, it states that if one includes --NET, then the BS (BaseStation) and RAW (data stream) parameters have to be set to "NO". It would therefore seem that to provide OS with data using --NET, I have to disable the BS output (which I do not want to do).

I will continue to investigate other solutions, but thought I would throw this out to the Forum to see if anyone else had any suggestions/solutions?

Regards
Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 3 months ago #69 by schaefer
We've never observed such a strange behavior before, but it sounds like a bug to me. Which dump1090 version are you running? I think github.com/mutability/dump1090 is the most advanced fork...

Matthias

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.