Receiver localization using ADS-B data

4 years 6 months ago #934 by celt
Hi,

First time posting, so sorry if misplaced post.

Are you aware on any projects going in this area (trying to get the location of the receiver by listening to the transponders)?
I know only about this: tik-old.ee.ethz.ch/file//cde383a03b70cfc...rcraft%20Signals.pdf

Reason is that I'm now looking a bit into possibilities to do this, by checking the signal level of the received lat-lng packets, and trying somehow to converge all this into the location of the receiver.

If anyone is interested, I can even setup and share a fork of dump1090 which outputs the data + signal level that you can turn into nice looking heatmaps one can use to check the coverage of the receiver, if someone is willing to share this signal level data?
Something like:
Each packet is a dot with intensity corresponding to signal level:
scelts.github.io/planeheatmaps/index.html (in the top right corner you can filter by altitude)

Or the tracks:
scelts.github.io/planeheatmaps/location.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 6 months ago #939 by celt

4 years 6 months ago #942 by schaefer
Hi, we are actually following research in this area and the only work towards self-positioning that I am aware of is the one from Eichelberger et al which you mentioned. I've also done lots of experiments myself, but mainly with time-difference of arrival measurements. It works (as also shown in the paper mentioned), but accuracy is limited by the quality of the reported positions and clock synchronization is pretty tough.

Anyway, I think you'd be first to use the received signal strength to do self-positioning. Let me know how it works. If you are interested, you can also use the OpenSky data sets from this competition:
competition.opensky-network.org/
The dataset also includes the (uncalibrated) received signal strengths reported by the receivers.

PS: I like the gif :-)