Feeding 978 UAT data?

4 years 3 months ago #1013 by epuryearopensky
Hello. Is it possible to feed ADS-B data from 978 UAT to OpenSkey Network? I have a few PiAware running dump978-fa and feeding data to FlightAware and ADS-B Exchange. I thought i would see if it is possible to fee that data here too. Thanks for any help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 3 months ago #1014 by strohmeier
Replied by strohmeier on topic Feeding 978 UAT data?
Hi, UAT is sadly not supported yet. We are very European-based and 978 is a very US-centric thing. Without having live access to planes it's always more difficult, so we concentrated on FLARM first, which is a thing here.

4 years 3 months ago #1015 by epuryearopensky
Thank you for the quick reply.

I dug into this a little more and found that the dump978 program comes with a feature to reformat 978UAT data to 1090ES data. That is apparently how ADSB Exchange gets their 978UAT data. So, by installing the ADSB Exchange 978UAT package, then just telling Opensky to get data from port 37985 (which is the port where ADSB Exchange outputs its beast-formatted data, the 978UAT data is fed to Opensky too.

I have that running now on receiver -1408234833. There aren't that many 978UAT planes flying near that receiver, but I can see 2 planes so far showing up in the statistics.

Any thoughts on that?

4 years 3 months ago #1017 by strohmeier
Fundamentally, we would advise against doing this. UAT doesn't fully map to 1090ES and many of our research applications need clean and correct raw data, where we know the sources. If we know somebody is doing it, it's not a big problem though.

4 years 3 months ago #1018 by epuryearopensky
Thank you, that does make sense.

I would love to find a way to get 978UAT data in without causing any problems. But, I get that 978UAT is an American thing that is hard for you to develop for without planes flying nearby, and that your time is better spent on the protocols you have airbone in Europe.

With that said, would you be willing to have a separate port to which 978UAT can be fed, so there is no issue with confusing it and 1090ES data? Or an option in the user profile to indicate that a receiver was providing 978UAT data? If so I would volunteer to take care of putting together the software package to feed that data if needed.

4 years 3 months ago #1020 by strohmeier
Principally, yes, we want to integrate everything possible. ;) At the moment, our resources are focused on VHF (see message on the front page), but it is on the list of things that we definitely want to do!

2 years 3 weeks ago - 2 years 2 weeks ago #1844 by ersanzop
Replied by ersanzop on topic Feeding 978 UAT data?
Can you run the status command and share what it shows?sudo systemctl status uat_reader techzpod mobdro download