Rest-Api Funtion "Arrivals by Airport" returns no

3 years 6 months ago #1303 by dewfe
I wanna display all flights that will arrive at a given airport within the next few minutes. My approach was to use the "Arrivals by Airport" Function of the Rest-Api in order to get the icao24 of all arriving flights. Next, I could use these icao24 in the "All State Vectors" Function to gather the current Position of that flight.

But the "Arrivals by Airport" returns an empty dataset, at least if the Time window (begin & end parameter) is not far in the past.

opensky-network.org/api/flights/arrival?...42000&end=1603274400

should return all flights arrival in Munich (EDDM) between 10/21/2020 @ 1:00am (UTC) and 10/21/2020 @ 10:00am (UTC).

I made this request at 10/21/2020 @ 10:33am (UTC) and get an empty dataset.

Whats is the correct Rest-Api request to get all flights during the last few hours toward a given Airport?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 6 months ago #1304 by strohmeier
This doesn't exist as arrivals are computed at night (UTC) for the previous day.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dewfe

3 years 6 months ago #1305 by dewfe
Thank you. Is there another way to get realtime (position) data, filtered by an Arrival Airport?

3 years 6 months ago #1306 by strohmeier
I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to do. Your first line indicates that you want data from the future?

Remember that we only have aircraft broadcast data and no external sources about flight plans or commercial schedules. You could use the API to filter for a specific area around an airport (manually) and a given altitude / see if it is descending. You could even write further algorithms to see whether it looks like it's going to land and where.

3 years 6 months ago #1307 by dewfe
I need the positions of all Aircrafts approaching a given Airport. When I filter by Coordinates I'll get a lot of flights that are not going to the desired Airport, but cross that area. If I detect a decent I can't be sure that the Aircraft is going to land. A Decent from FL 300+ starts far away from the Airport. So I would detect a lot of wrong flights.

3 years 6 months ago #1308 by strohmeier
Makes sense but the point remains that this is not a function that we implement and that you would have to do that. It's complex live, hence our workaround with running batch analysis nightly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mawg, arminebner