Help TCAS research

3 years 1 month ago #1421 by Peter97
Help TCAS research was created by Peter97
Hello there!

I'm trying to follow the same method Mathias used for a research in my degree's dissertation related to TCAS activation reports.

I would love to know how to use the tool Mathias and his team coded called TCASResolutionAdvisoryMsg.class but I do not have experience with Java.

Also, for the part of downloading data (if I get access) I would like to know what kind of data should I download.

And finally, I have read that there is a MATLAB program ready to be used to download the data, but, could it be possible to use MATLAB to run the tool mentioned before?

Thank you Mathias&Co. for creating this network!

Have a good one!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 1 month ago #1422 by strohmeier
Replied by strohmeier on topic Help TCAS research
Hi Peter,

I'm afraid we can't write all tools in all languages (even though our amazing community often does). :) Besides libadsb that you mention, there is also pyModeS that can be used for decoding: opensky-network.org/data/data-tools

I suggest reading mode-s.org/decode/ so you know what you are doing with the data (either from Impala, or we also have the raw data from that paper).

Best,
Martin

3 years 1 month ago #1423 by Peter97
Replied by Peter97 on topic Help TCAS research
Hi Martin, thank you for your kind answer.

If I wanted to get the data necessary to analyze the TCAS activations, what kind of data would it be? Acess to the Impala Shell? Raw data? or State vectors?

I will drag some friends with me to the journey of working with libadsb on Java. I see it very simple and efficient but I don't have the knowledge (maybe it isn't but it looks like hehe).

Thanks again!

3 years 1 month ago #1424 by strohmeier
Replied by strohmeier on topic Help TCAS research
You need access to the shell, specifically the position/velocity tables.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter97