Missing Flight data in some countries?

2 years 1 week ago #1868 by blistik
I wondered why I was not getting and flight data via the REST API within my local area for the last couple of weeks.  When I checked the Mapview I see large parts of some continents have no flight data (in my case Australia) and only 2 coastal regions are shown.  Africa, most of Asia including China.   Any idea what is causing this?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 1 week ago #1869 by blistik
side note: I also have a receiver (91650) and the planes it is picking up are not being fed onto the server, showing as constantly offline, which is not the case. Was all working fine up until a week ago. Last valid 'local' data point out of the REST API was 12-APR-22 11:53:24 +10:00

2 years 1 week ago #1870 by strohmeier
As a general rule, we don't have ground-based ADS-B data in area where nobody lives. :) So, for Australia it's mostly the J curve and some other population centres. I can have a look at your receiver though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: blistik

2 years 1 week ago #1871 by blistik
I have been getting reliable regional Queensland data for over 3 months now with the Roma, Miles, Chinchilla to (and from) Brisbane flights visible for the whole flight on the Explorer. I had often compared with FR24 and they were pretty much 1:1. The main difference was the low altitudes were generally missing reception which is why I setup my own radio locally to fill in the gaps.

My use case is: I have written an app that taps into the REST API and notifies me of flights that pass within 6kms of my position. Its been working well with hundreds of fly-overs being logged so far. That is, until the 12th when it stopped receiving data for the local area.

I appreciate you checking it out.

2 years 1 week ago #1872 by strohmeier
I still don't fully understand - the picture in your first post, shows our usual coverage, there has been little to no significant change in that. You can see it for any given day here: opensky-network.org/network/facts

2 years 1 week ago #1873 by blistik
Oh, I stand corrected, apologies. I was mistaken about the complete coverage apparently. I admit I have only concentrated on my local area.
The fact of the lack of data remains, flights that were definitely there before the 12th as my notifications document. I see my own radio's last data supplied up the 7th, showing data had to have continued from 'other sources' before I noticed notifications stopped.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the availability chart only shows "online" when actual aircraft messages are coming through, and "offline" when no flight data is offered, regardless of whether the radio is up and active or not.  There are long periods when no aircraft are in the area (most nights) yet the radio is actively listening.
The attached is from earlier this afternoon. If I could get my radio feed appearing, that would solve the problem.
Attachments: